How to Develop Outcomes and Relate them to Assessment
1. Implement the given Faculty of Medicine Dentistry and Health Sciences directive to practice Outcome Based Education (OBE).
2. Use the defined elements of OBE to determine teaching, learning, and assessment practices in The Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry.
3. Write clear Learning Outcomes that define the specific competencies to be achieved in terms of skills, knowledge, attitudes and values.
4. Select or design assessment materials that are directly linked to Learning Outcomes.
5. Develop a clearly defined framework within which a learner can organise his or her efforts to complete the learning tasks.
6. Derive instructional material and content from the defined OBE framework.
7. Define the special conditions that apply to the actual activity that the learner will perform or demonstrate.
8. Specify the degree of accuracy or proficiency (standard or scale) that the learner must meet.
Defining Outcome Based Education (OBE): OBE is an approach to education that shifts emphas is from what the teacher will do to what the student will do. It emphasises the student learning by: clear and explicit identificat ion of what a learner is expected to know, comprehend, or be able to do; assessment that transparently and defensibly aligns with the outcomes; teaching and learning activities that elicit the specified outcomes; assessment tasks that are detailed and marked consistently using explicit criteria.